So off to work you go - again - another day of feeling like a marginal swimmer treading water in the deep end of the pool. You are frustrated and beaten down just enough to make actual swimming seem impossible.
You HAVE TO do something - but aren't. You are stuck and really sick of feeling stuck.
What to do?
First of all, are you prepared to do something about your current situation? Sure you're frustrated and "talking" about it, but are you going to take action? If not, do yourself a favor and stop being frustrated - seriously, save the energy. Just get on with it and enjoy the ride. No sense getting in a sweat if you aren't going to take action.
Oh, you are ready? But not sure where to start?
If so, here's the down-n-dirty -
- Write down what you want to be doing in 5 years.
- Add where you'd like to do it.
- Write down what you are doing now and where you are doing it.
- Look at what you've written and give it a reality check.
- If unrealistic, start over, scaling back as needed.
- If realistic, sketch out (in reverse order) a route from where you'd like to be, back to where you are now.
- Look at what you've written.
- What's the next most likely job that puts you on that route?
- Write out everything you are doing on your current job that could be applicable to the (next) one you've just identified.
- You now have the raw material from which to define your Job Search Objective, rebuild your resume, and map out a networking game plan.
It's basic but it will get you moving in the right direction if you are indeed ready make a move.
John Jeffrey Lundell